Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. What’s not to love?! Cooler temperatures, football, pumpkin spice lattes, leaves changing, and the anticipation of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just love it.
There were certain things that I looked forward to each year as a kid once fall rolled around. Now that I have kids of my own, I’m excited to continue some of the fall traditions that I loved growing up as well as start some new ones.
Here are 10 things that you can do this fall as a family with little ones.
1. Take daily walks – This is something I look forward to all summer long. When the temperatures get up into the 90s and 100s in the summer, we usually only take a morning walk, if that. Once fall temperatures roll around, we are able to take a morning and evening walk. It’s a great opportunity to get some exercise while talking about all of the things that we see… Birds, animals, colors, bugs, etc…
2. Visit the local botanical garden – We have a beautiful garden in town that is wonderful to visit, especially in the fall. It’s a great place to have a picnic, too.
3. Go to a pumpkin patch – Of course, you have to visit the local pumpkin patch. It’s a great fall photo op, and the little ones love being among the pumpkins and picking out their favorite one to take home.
4. Take family photos – Fall is the perfect time of year to take annual family photos. Make a point every fall to get the whole family together, coordinate attire, and have someone snap some pictures. You will be so glad to have the memories to look back on. Plus, you can use this photo for your Christmas card.
5. Do a fall craft together – There are so many fall crafts out there that are perfect for little ones. This is something that your kids will enjoy and look forward to year after year.
6. Go to a high school football game – Nothing says fall like football. High school football games have plenty of entertainment for the little ones… From the game itself to watching the marching band, cheerleaders, drill team, and of course, eating stadium food. Get the kids their own spirit wear and head out to the local stadium for some Friday night fun.
7. Dress up in costumes – Whether you take the family trick-or-treating or pass out candy at the door, the little ones will love picking out their costumes and dressing up as their favorite superhero, animal, or whatever their imagination dreams up. Of course, snap plenty of pictures!
8. Carve and decorate a pumpkin – The kids will love discovering what’s inside the pumpkin and getting their hands messy. Then, you can let them have a say in how to carve it and decorate it.
9. Go to the state fair – We have an awesome state fair that is so much fun to go to year after year. There are tons of things there for little kids. Last year, our daughter loved seeing all the animals and listening to story time with Mother Goose.
10. Jump in a pile of leaves – Rake all the leaves as a family and then make jumping in the big pile a reward.
These are just some of the fun things that you can do in the fall. What are your favorite fall family activities and traditions?