As my due date approached as a first-time mom, I remember hoping we had all the newborn essentials we needed to prepare for baby’s arrival. The nursery was just about ready, my hospital bag was packed, and the car seat was in the car. Now, it was just a matter of when baby was ready.
Two days after my due date, our sweet daughter was born, and two days later we were home. Then, less than two years later, we welcomed our second daughter into the world. Our lives have been turned upside down in the best way.
Bringing our daughters home from the hospital was such a beautiful and crazy time in our lives. Those first couple of weeks is always a little crazy getting used to a new schedule (or lack thereof), but there’s nothing like the joy that comes with having a new little life at home. Looking back, there are some things that were really helpful to have on hand those first two weeks. Below you will find a list of the items we used the most during those first two weeks at home with a newborn.
Newborn Essentials – 25+ Must-Haves for the First Two Weeks
1. Diapers – We stocked up on size 1 diapers. Both of our daughters were in the newborn size for a very short time before moving up to size 1. Pampers Swaddlers are great because they have a line on the outside of the diaper that will change colors when wet.
2. Baby Wipes – These wipes are great because they have so few ingredients. They are paraben, fragrance, and alcohol free and are perfect for sensitive skin.
Expecting? Check out this popular post: 15 Things To Do Your Last Month of Pregnancy
3. Bassinet – The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that newborns sleep in the same room as their parents for the first six months to year and have their own sleeping space. We have been using this bassinet with our second daughter and love it.
4. Baby Shusher – Shushing sounds and white noise can help to calm a crying baby. With its recorded rhythmic human shushing sounds, the Baby Shusher makes calming a crying baby simpler. It’s portable and can be used around the house and on the go. This is one of my all-time favorite baby products!
5. Swaddle Blankets – These lightweight muslin blankets are the best! They are perfect for swaddling baby, tummy time, and for using as stroller blankets on walks. The breathable fabric is great for use around the house and outside.
6. Long-Sleeve Onesies – These are my favorite long-sleeve onesies. They are simple and perfect for everyday wear around the house and under a SleepSack.
7. Layette Footie – I love these adorable footie pajamas. The ruffles are so sweet. This set is a perfect going-home outfit.
8. SleepSack – The hospital I delivered at sent us home with a new newborn SleepSack. The SleepSack makes swaddling baby so easy.
9. Socks – These socks are soft and comfy for baby, and the little bows are too cute.
11. Car Seat – We love this car seat. It’s known as one of the best infant car seats in terms of quality and safety, and it’s lightweight.
Related post: Car Seat Basics for the New Mom
12. Stroller – This stroller frame fits the Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant Car Seat. The car seat clicks conveniently right into place. It’s super easy to use and perfect for strolls around the neighborhood.
14. Swing – This swing is versatile in that it sways from side-to-side or front-to-back. The seat portion can be removed from the swing and function simply as a rocker. We move this swing/rocker around the house from room to room.
15. Baby Wash & Shampoo – This is our favorite baby soap. We’ve tried multiple brands, and this one seems to be the best on baby’s skin.
16. Washcloths – These washcloths are soft and just the right size for baby. There are 10 in this pack!
17. Hand Sanitizer – I like to have hand sanitizers around the house when baby comes home. They make hand sanitizing convenient for us and our family and friends.
18. Diaper Pail – This diaper pail is easy to use. You just step and drop the diaper in. The trash bags that go with it are easy to remove and refill.
Related post: Diaper Changing Station Essentials
20. Nasal Aspirator – The NoseFrida is a great way to help baby clear out mucus in the nose. The hospital provided a bulb syringe that we were able take home, which is helpful as well.
21. Podster – The Podster is something new that I used with our second daughter. It’s a super comfy, sling style lounger thats provides a soft place for baby to relax at an incline.
22. Baby Book – A baby book is the perfect place to write down the details of the birth along with other memories and milestones along the way. We also brought it with us to the hospital so the nurse could stamp our daughters’ footprints and handprints directly into their books.
This personalized baby book is on my wish list if we have another child. It’s so cute, and there are so many colors and designs from which to choose.
23. Diaper Bag – This diaper bag has been great for both of our daughters. It has pockets galore and has a few extras built into it like a travel changing pad, mesh bag, and a zipper bag.
24. Baby Log App – The Baby Log App makes keeping track of feeds, diaper changes, and sleep super simple. I have tried a couple of different apps, and this is my favorite.
25. Mittens – These little mittens can help prevent little one from scratching her face with her fingernails. They come four in a pack.
26. Camera – When I was pregnant with our first daughter, I decided to buy a fancy DSLR camera so I could try to take some quality photos when our little one arrived. I’ve been learning how to shoot in manual mode for the last couple of years and love it! Of course, I also take a bazillion photos with my phone! No matter how busy the days get when your little one arrives, capture plenty of sweet moments in photos because they’re only little for so long.
Expecting? Check out this popular post: What to Pack in your Hospital Bag