This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Reading has always been a part of our oldest daughter’s routine. I think the keys to helping her develop a love for reading have been to read to her everyday, incorporate songs and funny sounds when possible, and have a variety of books around so she doesn’t get bored from reading the same ones over and over again.
With that said, there are some of her absolute favorites that are being held together by tape from reading them over and over again and traveling along with us in the car wherever we go
So… here they are! Our top 10 favorite books from the last 22 months…
10 Favorite Board Books for Babies & Toddlers
1. Snuggle Puppy – This was my daughter’s first favorite book… A sweet little book with puppies. It is very easy to sing these words to her, and she was engaged with the story from very early on.
2. Dear Zoo – An early favorite, this lift-the-flap book has maintained its popularity for almost two years! She always loved seeing which animals were behind the flaps and then got to where she would pull the flaps herself. We work with her on all the sounds the animals make and always have a lot of fun reading it together.
3. Hoot: A Hide-and-Seek Book of Counting – Another early favorite… This book incorporates numbers and colors and works well for the nighttime routine as it discusses bedtime at the end.
4. My Big Animal Book – This is one of the books that has been taped and re-taped multiple times because of the love that she has for this book. She learned her animals from this book. It has great pictures, lots of colors, and is very easily interactive.
5. Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? – Sensing a theme, here? More animals! This book is easily interactive with animal sounds and keeps her attention through the repetitive way in which it reads.
6. The Zoo Crew – One of our newer favorites, this book incorporates animals and textures that make it fun for kids to see what the animals’ skin or fur feels like. It reads fairly quickly, and it has fun colors and a variety of pictures on each page that leave plenty to talk about.
7. Good Night, Gorilla – One of our all-time favorites… When she was in one of her bedtime sleep regressions, I started looking at reviews for the best bedtime stories and repeatedly came across Good Night, Gorilla. From the first time we read her this book, she loved it. I’m not exactly sure why it’s so popular among little ones, but it quickly became part of her bedtime routine. The book is very repetitive with the word “goodnight” which really helped her to transition to it being bedtime. Love this book and highly recommend it for the nighttime routine.
8. I’ll See You in the Morning – This sweet book is one of my favorites to read to her at bedtime because of its reassuring message.
9. Hooray for Hoppy! – I purchased this book at Half Price Books because I thought it would be a great way to talk about the spring season. It incorporates the five senses and counting, too. I had no idea how much she would love this book, but she loved reading about Hoppy!
10. Thank You, God, For Daddy – This is a sweet book that talks about the relationship between a father and a child. We were given Thank You, God, for Daddy, and I eventually bought Thank You, God, For Mommy because of the sweet messages in both of them.
Bonus: Our Great Big Backyard – My husband came across this book written by Laura Bush and Jenna Bush Hager while they were promoting it on one of the late night talk shows. Because of his love for the great outdoors and all things national parks, he ordered a copy for our daughter. Even though it is not a board book, I am including it in our list of favorites because it quickly became a favorite. The illustrations are wonderful, and there is so much to talk about from the animals, to traveling, the outdoors, and family. We love this book!
What are some of your favorite board books to read with your little ones?