This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
I always say that if I won the lottery, I would hire someone to clean a couple of days a week. Here’s the thing… I want our home to be clean and organized, but some days I am doing well just to do the laundry and dishes. That said, I really want our children to feel like our home is their happy place. So maybe the toys aren’t always picked up and maybe the counters aren’t always clear of clutter, but I’d like to think that happiness resides among the mess. I saw a sign once that said, “Pardon the mess. My children are making memories.” Love it!
Saying all that, there are some ways to make a home happier no matter the mess. Here are nine home decor ideas that can make a home happier.
1. Happy Everything Big Bright Round Platter – I love this platter! We have it on display, and the fun thing about it is you can switch out the cake for many other attachments like an American flag, football, shamrock, manger, etc… Swoozie’s has a bunch of fun attachments that you can add to your Happy Everything plate depending on the holiday.
2. Banners for the Mantel – These are so fun to have for the different seasons. We have one that says “Blessed,” and on the back it says “Rejoice” for the Christmas season. We have another that says “Noel,” and on the back it says “Fall.” These banners are an easy way to change up the mantel throughout the year.
3. Family Calendar – Keep everybody on the same page by displaying a family calendar. I like the dry erase boards where you can just fill in the month and days and then decorate it depending on the holiday during that month. Check out this adorable Happy Everything Dry Erase Wall Calendar that is on my wish list.
4. Growth wall – Find a wall in your house where you can track your kids’ heights. There is a wall at my parents’ house that shows all of our height measurements from when my brothers and I were very young. Now, our kids are being measured on that same wall. So fun! To carry on the tradition in our home, we have a cute yardstick in our daughter’s room where we will keep track of our daughters’ heights. It’s fun for all of us to see the differences in growth over time.
5. Family Photos on a Gallery Wall – This is something that can be hard to do because we rarely print photos anymore. However, family pictures that are displayed can make a house feel more like a home. Try to make a point to take family photos at least once a year and update your gallery wall at the same time.
6. Fridge Magnets – I like these for two reasons… First, magnets are a fun thing to collect when you travel. Then, you can display them on your fridge and remember the fun memories from all of your trips. Second, fridge magnets can hold up fun family pictures, invitations, and artwork.
7. Kids Artwork Display – Speaking of artwork, having a designated area to display your kids’ artwork can really personalize a space while making your kids feel proud. I’ve seen some really fun bulletin boards in friends’ homes in the kitchen and mudroom areas. Pinterest is full of ideas for this!
8. Fresh Flowers – Fresh flowers can be expensive, but they don’t have to be. Occasionally, I’ll pick up some flowers when I’m grocery shopping to brighten up the kitchen. We don’t have fresh flowers out all the time, but it’s nice to have them out for special occasions and sometimes just because.
9. Wreath on the Front Door – This is a really simple way to add character and curb appeal to your home. We have a wreath from Target’s Smith & Hawken Collection that we keep up most of the year. It can also be fun to change it up throughout the year depending on the season.
What are your favorite home decor items that make your home more happy?