Last week, we celebrated our youngest daughter turning one! We had planned to have her first birthday party at our home, but we recently sold our house and are currently living with family until our next home is ready.
With the recent move and all the craziness that comes with moving twice, I was hoping to plan a simple, but fun celebration for our daughter. I began researching venues where we could have her party and found a super cute place full of playhouses that is available to rent on the weekends. I waited until the last minute to reserve a time, so I ended up booking a 9am party.
At first, I was a little bummed that her party would be so early, but I searched Pinterest for some ideas and came across some adorable donut-themed parties. So, we went with it! The playhouse venue ended up being perfect, and the party was a success.
Below, I have listed 10 easy steps to throwing a super cute and super simple donut-themed birthday party!
Donut Birthday Party!
- Reserve a party space. We had our daughter’s party at a place that was full of playhouses. Other places we considered were gyms designed for little kids and local recreation centers. A party at home would have been great as well!
- Order invitations and printables from Etsy. These are the ones we ordered. I actually just emailed the PDF file out to family and friends, and then printed one for her baby book. These are the matching bunting flags we used as a table decoration and for the high chair. This is the matching “Welcome” sign I had printed and framed for the table by the front door. This theme also has matching thank you cards, favor tags, and water bottle labels. So cute!
- Order a special outfit for the birthday girl. I ordered this adorable dress and had her initials monogrammed on it. She wore it on her actual birthday and to her party later in the week.
- Purchase a plastic platter, bowls, party cups, plates, and napkins. We put pink and white glazed doughnuts with sprinkles on the large plastic platter. Then, we filled one of these with doughnut holes and another with chocolate-glazed doughnut holes and doughnuts.
- Order the smash cake. To go along with the doughnut and sprinkles theme, I ordered a 6-inch round smash cake from the local grocery store bakery that had sprinkles galore. It was super cute and was less than $15.
- Put together party favors. I saw an idea on Pinterest that used tiny jars full of sprinkles for party favors, so that’s what we did. Purchase some small, inexpensive jars and fill them with sprinkles. Use them as a table decoration during the party, and then your guests will enjoy taking them home.
- Print pictures from the last year and create a DVD or poster full of memories. I went through pictures on my phone and computer and sent about 100 photos to Walgreens to print. I was able to find a coupon online that made the prints pretty inexpensive. From there, we picked out our favorites and put together a poster board (think science fair) full of newborn, monthly, and recent pictures from our daughter’s first year. Everyone loved looking at the collage of photos!
- Order doughnuts. On the morning of the party, I called the neighborhood doughnut shop and ordered a dozen pink glazed doughnuts with sprinkles and a dozen white glazed doughnuts with sprinkles about an hour before we arrived to pick them up. Then, I purchased six chocolate-glazed doughnuts, a dozen of the chocolate-glazed doughnut holes, and three dozen of the glazed doughnut holes. My husband’s folks brought a gallon of orange juice and a gallon of milk. There was more than enough food and drink!
- Set up the decorations and food. We arrived 30 minutes early to set up the decorations and food. The place we had the party at had a high chair, so we used that one instead of bringing our own. It took about 15 minutes to set everything up.
- Party time! The kids had a blast playing, and the adults enjoyed catching up. We sang Happy Birthday and let her dig into her cake. At the end, she opened her gifts. The party lasted an hour and a half, and everyone had a great time.
The doughnut and sprinkles theme was the perfect way to celebrate our sweet daughter’s first birthday!
Related post: 10 Fun Gift Ideas for 1-2 Year Olds