This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
What would you do with an extra three hundred dollars per month? Start saving to pay off your car, pay off student loan debt, get caught up on bills, go on an Amazon shopping spree, update your kitchen, plan a much-needed vacation? Everyone can think of a few things that a few extra hundred dollars per month could begin going toward.
For us, earning extra money from home meant we didn’t have to go into debt when I went back to college. It also allowed us to start an emergency fund, which we found to be even more important once we started having kids.
I’ve always loved making extra money on the side, and now with kids, doing so has allowed me to go part-time at my nursing position. Many of the tips below I have successfully used or am still using to earn extra money from home.
How To Earn Extra Money From Home
1. Refinish furniture. This is one of the ways I earned extra money during college. I found free or inexpensive furniture on the side of the road, at garage sales and yard sales, and on Craigslist, and either refinished the items or simply cleaned them up and listed them for sale online. I love finding great deals at yard sales, so this was a perfect fit. (Resource: Flipper University)
2. Start a blog. The sky is the limit when it comes to earning money from a blog. One way you can earn money with blogging is through advertising, which correlates with the number of page views you have per month. Another fun way to earn money is through affiliate marketing. Blogging has been the best way for me to earn extra money from home while having young children because I can work during their nap time and while they are sleeping at night.
3. Create an online business. Do you love the idea of making extra money online? There are some great online money-making opportunities like proofreading, virtual assisting, website design, video editing, and consulting to name a few. Think of the skills you have to offer and figure out a way to offer your services in an online format.
4. Build a service-based business. Do you have a skill that others may be willing to pay you for? This could be anything like taking photos at an in-home studio, tax preparation, embroidery, sewing, or creating products to sell on Etsy, all of which you could do from home. Marketing is key when it comes to starting a service-based business. Once you get the initial word out about your business and take on your first few clients, then others can refer you.
5. Take surveys. How awesome it would be to earn money simply for giving your opinion?! Survey Junkie is free to join and offers popular gift cards and cashouts via PayPal for your participation.
6. Teach English online. Do you have a bachelor’s degree and want to teach English online? With VIPKID, you can apply to be a teacher with a flexible schedule, working out of the comfort of your home, teaching English virtually to children between the ages 4-12 in China. And, VIPKID provides all lesson plans! Learn more here.
7. Work for family and friends. Let family and friends know you’re willing to take on odd jobs that you can do from home, and you may be surprised at the number of people who ask for your help. Whether it’s organizing photos, creating scrapbooks (digital or classic), filing paperwork, transferring VHS tapes to a digital format, or helping them with their business, develop a list of ideas as a starting point and offer your assistant services to those you already know.
What are your favorite ways to earn extra money from home?
Below are some great resources for shopping, saving money, making money, and more!
Ebates – Ebates is a free and easy way to earn cash back when shopping online. Some of my favorite places to shop through Ebates include: Amazon, Target, Etsy, Old Navy, Lowe’s, Walmart, and more! Ebates earns a commission on referrals, and they share that commission with you. I talk about it in depth in my post here: How To Earn Cash with Ebates. It’s super easy (and free) to join. You just provide your email address, and choose a password. You can get a $10 cash bonus after your first $25 purchase by signing up through my link here.
Ibotta – Ibotta is another free way to earn cash back. It’s like using coupons without the hassle of clipping coupons. You simply sign up for a free account and then after you shop, scan your products that have coupons in the app, scan your receipt, and watch the cash fall into your Ibotta account. I use the app when I shop at Target and Kroger, but there are a lot of places you can use the service. You can receive a $10 welcome bonus by signing up through my link here.
Airbnb – Airbnb is a great way to travel. Instead of staying at hotels, you can rent someone’s house, apartment, or room. I have even seen people list their Airstream trailers for rent. How cool is that?! We used Airbnb on our last trip to Washington, D.C., and it was awesome. We stayed in a cute little neighborhood near Dupont Circle and were able to walk to the grocery store, local bookstore, and local restaurants nearby. There were four of us total, and we rented the whole apartment and had everything we needed for a great stay. If you’re looking for a fun, cost effective way to travel, check out Airbnb. This referral link will give you $40 toward your first trip.
Free Blogging Resources – There are so many amazing free blogging resources available that I listed all of my favorites in one place. From learning how to start a blog to learning how to increase page views… even a free Pinterest course! You can access the full list in this blog post here.